Thursday, 1 March 2007

Beef numbers.

Another stat: 60kg of beef is consumed each year per capita. Apparantly that's about double what those little Texans can get through.

That's meant to be an impressive stat but I'm on 56kg on day 10 and I'm a skinny fella. This may have a little to do with the fact I have lunch at school and have, so far, been offered the following (bear in mind the food is amazing. I'm talking Nando's quality):

Monday: (8kg) Steak and patatas. (I had to get two plates cause me tatties didn't fit on my autosy slab of a main).

Tuesday: (5kg) Beef, in breadcrumbs.

Wednesday: (6kg) Beef stir fry, or 'salad' as they call it here.

Thursday: (4kg) Fish steak. That's a massive steak, with an anchovie dressing on the 'salad' (see above).

Friday: (33kg) Asado - see previous blog, but to summarise it's like someone has dared you to eat a whole cow.

Take the profoundly irritating 'shrimp' scene from Forrest Gump, replace 'shrimp' with the word 'beef', and you have almost word for word my diet to date.

And I'm not even including my Beef Pops cereal. I bet the cows are shit scared of leaving their houses. Unlike in Delhi, you never see a cow on the street here. no wonder. It's quite high profile. Apparantly there's a march of vegetarian mothers each month protesting against 'the disappeared', which are the 30,000 cows that are unaccounted for each week during the 80s. It's a political thing, I think. What do I know, I've been here a week and I can't beef really straight think.

No comments:

Post a Comment