You have to think about your audience. This is of course true of any 'presenter': from loftly politicans to lowly teachers. Bush, for example, should know that most people know in the audience would know that Mandela is not actually dead, as he hilarious stated last week.
In my own humble way, I should think more about who I am teaching before launching into various tasks. This morning was a case in point.
The book we are reading includes an island where the inhabitants have invented many ingenious devices which save time: very a la Wallace and Gromit. So I asked for suggestions about which household chore they found the most annoying and time consuming.
Having explained what the word 'chore' meant in English, I then had to explain what a chore was.
I then offered a series of prompts. Cleaning your room, ironing your clothes, making food, cleaning and drying your clothes...
Then I went a bit more upmarket, to meet my audience: Cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, er, chopping the sushi, mixing the cocktails?
I then went into a deep description of my normal day: getting up, ironing a shirt, catching the bus etc etc getting home, going to the market, cooking some dinner.
Eventually one brave hand goes up in the back. I leap on the enthusiasm with scarcily hidden relief.
"Yes, Florencia?"
"Sir, a question. Are you a poor?"
No comments:
Post a Comment