Monday, 13 October 2008

Some help in times of need


It seems that being totally unqualified to discuss the world financial crisis should not stop you from expressing an opinion. Very very few of us a couple of weeks ago would know what short selling is or what hedge funds were, and I think that that ignorance was not only noble but far more interesting that having that (sketchy, dumbed down) knowledge. 

Short selling, to put it simply for you, is this: if you are a short person who wants to be appear taller through achieving incredible personal wealth (IPW), you can borrowing stuff from other short people of IPW, or from a company of IPW.  You and your rich short friend lose loads of other people's money whilst increasingly your own IPW and go and buy lots of yachts. The company and the normal people meanwhile become homeless and die alone. 

A hedge fund is an oft confused phrase when you have so much money your pockets balloon on either side, looking like a hedge.  

But if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, check out these two venomous beasts: Sarah Palin and our Argentina's very own Christina Kirschner.   

To steal from what I've read sporadically on the subject, Palin's response to the question, What would you do about the Bail Out Bill? was quite predictable in its madness. 

- First of all, my name is not Bill. Second of all, when I look out of my window, I can see Russia.

Relevance not a strong point but not to worry, it's all part of God's awesome plan. 

Meanwhile, a thousand miles or so south of there, Christina is giving speech after speech talking about Argentina will stay strong because it is prepared for tough times. Excellent, and I thought these things were all somehow connected. Even as the pesos became worth 10% less overnight, she continued laughing in the face of the silly Americans in their time of financial crisis. Those fools.       
 
Or, as Leno apparently opened his show with last week: "Before we begin, I want to warn the good people of Nigeria watching this show, if you get any emails from Washington asking for money, it's a scam. Don't fall for it."

Shoot, it's all a bit upside your head, isn't it, Sarah? 

No comments:

Post a Comment