Friday, 8 June 2012

Terremoto

First proper earthquake this morning, details here. The school has a seismic alarm, which sounded just before 8am, but was quite slow. Most of the kids had already screamed and were heading for the exit points.

We've had a few tremors, but nothing more than a low purr. Recorded at a mere 4.3 about 40km away from the school. Nothing, comparatively. But this morning was the first one I have felt.

Windows wobbling, ground a-shakin', kids a-screamin' - rather like that moment on a plane when suddenly turbulence feels threatening, but the moment you feel that, it's over. No real fun at all. I see  why everyone who has experienced one describes earthquakes in terms of how long they last, not the numbers.

To be honest, I will be happy if I never experience anything more than that. Having spoken to people here who were here in the big ones - 1971, and November 2007 - and to friends in Christchurch who describes what one of these really feels like, nothing more than 4.0 is plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment