
Confidence is a fickle thing, be it when you're learning a language or playing sport. Having spent last week in intensive Spanish lessons at the wonderful Academia Buenos Aires, the importance of confidence when speaking a foreign tongue was brought to the fore.
Fortunately, I have always found lying an excellent way to boost this fickle supply of self-esteem. Allow me to justify this ethically dubious position with the following examples, based on two conversations I had last week.
Option A: Honest.
- Oh, your Spanish is really good. How long have you been here?
- Nearly 2 years now.
- Oh. Wow... Oh... Your Spanish is... You know... Um... Do you know any Argentines?
Result: Devastation.
Option B: Dishonest. Result: Esteem enhancing.
I prefer this conversation.
- Oh, your Spanish is really good. How long have you been here?
- I just arrived from the airport.
- Oh, wow. You should be famous.
- Thank you. I agree.
Result: Smugness.
More tips if you need them, just let me know.
My Spanish classmates have generally been from a small range of countries, namely Germany. My conclusion is that Germans are some of the most underrated people in the world. Now, I admit that that statement is not without a racist inference, but I think many people from the UK assume that your average German will be nice if humourless, will be holding a map and be too honest about perfunctory and embarrassing things such as bowel movements.
And whilst there was a little too much excitement about syntax (man, do they love the grammar. Systems, organisation, syntax, the opportunity to make jokes such as: Ah, so you do have a structure to your language! This must be the only structure in this country. Only today, I was waiting for a bus and... I digress, and regress) it is possible that being nice, interested, tri-lingual and thoughtful are actually more important qualities.
And they DO mention the war. I mentioned it many times and didn't need to get away with it. We had a great discussion about the shadows of a countries past on their present populations.
And they all love Scotland.
And they find Brits hilariously repressed with our inability to talk about anything that might refer to, you know, how can I put this, well, might refer to... it.
So, Isabel, Katharina, Christiana, Yves, Stephanie and Fritz, I salute you. And not like John Cleese does.
No comments:
Post a Comment