Tuesday, 16 July 2013

El Salto de Fraile

"You should go to El Salto de Fraile," I was told. "It's that restaurant in Chorrillos where the monks jump off the cliffs into the sea..."

Of course they do, I said, unbelieving. Well. They do. And it's every bit as brilliant as you would think. Now, not a day goes by when I don't want to see a monk jumping off a cliff into the sea. And not only that: I want to see monks doing extreme everything. If it sounds like Whoppi Goldberg would have made a film of it in the 80s, I wanna see it: Monks on the Run, Monk Bungee, Monks Fu, Monk Wrestling, Monks Go Surfing...  Anyway. Here's the real thing.   

Oh? Why do they do it. Tradition. Tradition and honour. Tradition, God and honour. And money. Yeah, they mostly do it for money. 

Monk-y business begins with a lot of hamming up. 
More hamming. Mostly in the direction of the main crowd,
dead ahead, parked by the main road. Monk salutes them. 
A final look down to the seas below...
The mantra: Monk-y sea, Monk'y do. 
One final Angels and Demons like sweep of the arm...
Wait for the wave, crouch, spring... 
... and we have a flying Monk. 
Proving he is not a witch, Monky falls... 
Monks on the Run! And Monk-y legs it back to the parking lot before
the tight fisted spectators make their escape with paying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment