Thursday, 1 August 2013

The origin of the Panama, marketing, and Jean Claude van Damme (?)

Maia, looking so cute in a Panama Cuencan hat. 
"Did you know, my friend," said nearly anyone we fell into conversation with, "that it is Cuenca in Ecuador that is the home of the so-called 'Panama' hat?" I shake my head, trying to look impressed by this in no way new information again. "Let me guess," our resident Nostradamus patronises, rolling his eyes, "you thought it was Panama, didn't you?"

Yes I did, I don't tell him. Of course I did. Everyone does. But this mis-information clearly pisses off your average Panamanian Cuencan, who believes that we've been wearing Panamas Cuencans for years. Only the material comes from Panama, or something. My point is, it's a battle that was lost a long, long time ago. No one is going to start calling them Cuencans.

This was something of a theme of our trip. Marketing is clearly still not a strength of Ecuador. Whether it was the inability to match a sign with what was on offer, Ecuador clearly still can't market its way out of a wet paper bag (plastic):

Pacha Cafe: coming soon to street near you

We've loving chalked in today's specials. Man, I could murder an empanada right now.
Looks like I am just minutes away from... 
... from bugger all. That's what. And definitely not empanadas. Not for another year or so... 

When you think of stationary, you think of... 
You run a stationary store. You need an eye catching sign, something that Joe public associated with stationary. I've got it! Let's hand paint an image of long forgotten Belgian born 90s action movie star and fully certifiable nutjob Jean Claude Van Damme. If JCVD doesn't shift staplers, what's going to?

Kickboxer, AWOL, Universal Soldier, Hard Target. Not once do I
recall Jean Claude doing any paperwork in these films.    

Who ate all the pays?
"I'd like some lemon pie (pay de limon!) please, as advertised outside."
*Leave empty-handed, hungry and confused*

No comments:

Post a Comment