I teach two classes in the Primary School. After asking the kids to write down the title, I turned around to see four little people standing behind me, holding their work for me to see. I tried to walk away from them, but they followed me, as if I were a mother hen of some kind.
I really am not trained for this. I've spend almost all of the last two years teaching A level, trying to make it much as possible like a Robin Williams movie: the 'trendy young teacher with nothing but a book and some lefty ideas' look, sitting on a desk with students hanging on every word. I've of course never come anywhere close, partly because I don't teach in Narnia, but at least I had a vision of where I was trying to go.
These followers wanted to know if they had underlined the title well. While I'd love to say that I confirmed they had underlined the title brilliantly (they had, mostly), I regret to admit that I told them that if they followed me around the room again I'd tell them all about who really brought the presents at Christmas.
And then I was late for lunch because I had to do up 48 shoe laces.
And then I didn't get my lunch because I had to help them cut up their food.
I never once saw Robin Williams cut up his student's food.
No comments:
Post a Comment