Wednesday, 21 February 2007

Same, same but so different

'This is Argentina'. I've been told this a LOT since getting to the school. Used generally to suggest you really need to forget how things were done at home

Pros come with the Cons
I haven't heard the term Target Grade, and it's clearly not just results driven, but I have no prior info on any of the kids. (To be honest, I never really found the numbers as useful as a two minute conversation, or one piece of written work).

It's blue skies and sunny. but you're meant to do some work during that.

Lesson plans are a little way away as yet, but I suspect a lot of the teaching is dictation, copying from the board etc.

Planning time is done in departments and built into the timetable. Then again days are 7 teaching hours long, starting at 8.15 and ending at 16.20

There is no SEN (Special Educational Need: dyslexia, dsypraxia, autism...) policy, provision, or discussion. People are just not really protected like they are in Britain. But on the other hand, you won't have a kid tell you to fu*k off, get out their 'Time Out' card, walk out of your lesson because they have 'Anger Management' and then get taken to McDonald's by a senior member of staff.

Department meeting have been hilarious. Everyone talking over each other, yabbering away. (It may be very lucid, but everything's in Spanish. I did learn el legudo - a legacy. Should come in handy.)

Argentine's are definitely cool and friendly. But they speak a funny language.

Ah, so many other things too. But these are some first thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment